Sunday, April 8, 2012

Blind Dates! Don't run!!

That AWKWARD moment when you get that phone call from one of your friends and they say “I have someone I want you to meet and go on a date with.”……All of a sudden there is just an awkward silence followed by all sorts of negative responses (HELL NO, for what?!, Na I’m good sorry I don’t think so, I don’t trust you so ummm I’ll pass etc)...
That AWKWARD moment when your friend keeps pushing the date almost begging while you wondering what the hell the catch is for your friend to go so hard for this date…
& then that AWKWARD moment when you AGREE to go on this blind date that you already have mapped out in your head as “horrific & painful.” Now you sitting there like “DAMN what did I get myself into.” Let’s be real 8 outta 10 blind dates normally end the way we expected, HORRIBLE and I’ve always thought of them as a desperate act or a slower version of speed dating which in my head is lame!
So why am I bringing all of this up?! Well I was set up a blind date (My close friend felt I needed a change in scenery…a change in the type of men I normally attract or am attracted to and go for someone outside of my norm) so I agreed….of course I was thinking of EVERY disaster that could go wrong…(what if he is hideous, what if he smells, what if he has bad teeth and bad breath, what if he has a cocky attitude with no reason to be cocky, what if he has the lamest personality, what if the conversation is dry, what if he can’t dress, what if he is too forward, what if he is all about the sex, and more importantly what if he is just damn CRAZY!?” )
Anyways, despite all of the thoughts & concerns I still went….let’s just say I was 100% wrong! He was attractive, laid back, interactive, not at all self centered, down to earth, had great teeth, sex wasn’t even mentioned & he made me smile AND I felt extremely comfortable….so all of that worrying for a great night!
This shit doesn’t happen often! Lol but the moral of the story is take risks, try new things with new people. Not every date is successful whether it’s a blind one or one with someone you have already met….but sometimes, that unexpected time that things didn’t go left will be just enough off that negativity you feel when the words “blind date” is mentioned…..
We actually went out again…..and it was just as good as the first time. Now before everyone runs to their friends asking to be set up on a blind date, remember 8 out of 10 aren’t successful and sometimes its TRIAL & ERROR, HIT or MISS……but there could be that chance that you find someone who may have a place in your life. Rules still apply for successful blind dates as well as other dates, don’t put all your eggs in one basket, it is still dating!!! & just because the first 3 or 4 dates went well doesn’t mean that’s your prince charming or next girlfriend. It takes time to get to know a person & their wants/needs may not be yours vice versa….everything happens for a reason (Either to show you blind dates aren’t that bad or to give you an introduction to someone who you were supposed to meet and learn their purpose as ya’ll get to know more about each other.) So the next time your friend says, I have someone I want you to meet and go on a date with,” give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment